The first chapel in Creggan was built in 1832, on the site of St. Patrick’s Primary School (now closed). It was a very small basic structure, with a thatched roof and clay floor. The chapel contained no seats but nonetheless, local people were very grateful to have somewhere to worship.
During the year of 1839, the church was used for a somewhat unusual purpose. During that year, there was a storm which swept across Ireland. The people of that time were given permission to use the chapel to thresh their corn before all the crop was lost. Work began on a new chapel building in 1938, on the site of the present church.
The official opening of the church took place on 24th November 1940. A re-dedication ceremony took place on 23rd March 1986, when His Eminence Cardinal O’Fiaich celebrated Mass in the refurbished church.
The Stations of the Cross in Creggan date back to 1940. It is believed that these were donated by individual parishioners when the new chapel was open.
Mass
Sunday: 9.00 am
Holydays: 7.00 pm